Site Logo

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snapper Closure :shock:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:35 am 
menehune

So how do the fisherman feel about the Red Snapper Moratorium that's been imposed? I found out a few days ago.....not liking the looks of this one. Looks like the NMFS has decided we should all eat imported Snapper, might want to invest in a Mexican Fishing boat as the price of Snapper is heading way up!

Looks like it will be going into effect around summer sometime....and last for 6 months.

Amazing thing is that Snapper off the EC has rebounded tremendously, as most here could attest......I commonly see huge schools of 100's if not 1000's diving off our coast.

Gotta love the governments reasoning and Data collections...... :( With enough money, any Data can be skewed to fit an agenda. GD treehuggin conservationist won't be happy until only Fish can eat Fish......

Post subject: Re: Snapper Closure :shock:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:42 am 
fluidmaster

I couldn't believe this passed. Like you said, data can be skewed it fit any agenda. I am all for regulating fishing, but a total ban for that timeframe? Come on. How about backing down the bag limit to 1 fish per person for a while or something. We have been catching snapper in good numbers with healthy range and size of fish for some years now.

Is the 6 months just this year, or is it going to be a recurring closed season?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:53 am 
menehune

What I have read so far is that during that time frame they will figure the "restructuring" of the seasons....."The closure would be effective for four to six months and could be extended for another 186 days while more permanent rules are developed." Excerpt from the following link....

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090306/NEWS01/903060332&s=d&page=1

Suddenly I'm glad my job keeps me from fishing as much as I used to (not to mention I fish at work all the time :mrgreen: )....... Might be time to sell the fishing boat and get a booze cruiser :?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:00 pm 
fluidmaster

I'll probably be staying inshore more like the old days. Snapper was usually the target species and a reliable means of feeding the family fresh fish. Thanks for the link.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:24 am 
grom

I believe the re-vote is 6-15

Write your congressmen..... I have a few times. Just in case. hopefully we're on a mission to whack 'em this weekend.

I'm all for conservation, and not against a short term seasonal closure during "spawning season" but their #'s are WHACK and doubtfully based on scientific numbers simply on the observation that we throw back more REd Snapper than we keep, and 2 fish per person is small potatoes compared to the hauls of commercial guys.

Fishing and ocean related art, clothing, and merchandise. Check out the new online art store

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:54 am 
fluidmaster

Waterjunkie wrote:
I'll probably be staying inshore more like the old days. Snapper was usually the target species and a reliable means of feeding the family fresh fish. Thanks for the link.

From what I've heard(hopefully only rumors) they are contemplating similar measures for inshore fishing as well on several species..to the point that it could impact almost all recreational fisherman negatively..... :twisted: