Site Logo

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I cook...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:26 am 
menehune

some redfish on the grill last night wrapped up in foil, was really good, but now with our whole grill thing now, would love some recipes, please.

If the words forming on your screen that were typed from my keyboard start making sense, you have hit ora state of delirium. -> Pink elephants with skull tats on their belly, and carrying bazookas, my kind of elephant. Knock the ish out of ya.

Post subject: Re: I cook...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:45 am 
fluidmaster

the grill is a man's domain. you best be steppin'

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:08 am 
fluidmaster

nathan wrote:

as long as it's not chicken. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:42 pm 
fluidmaster

When I was younger and an inexperienced grillmaster... I found out grilling crabs is harder than one might think... It was a a chaotic massacre.. live crabs dumped on the grill...cover slammed shut..wait for them to slowly cook right? Uh uh...imagine the tink, tink, tinking noise of a dozen crabs' legs tapping frantically on the metal lid as they begin to feel the searing heat, almost like cooking popcorn in a metal pot on the stove...several renegades tried to escape out the vent in the rear of the grill lid so I rushed at them with the tongs in a bayonet fashion preventing their escape until the cacophony of tapping led to a slow, weak, intermittent tap..like the last few kernels of corn popping...until finally there was only the quiet, even tone of hissing.....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:20 pm 
ripper

Lobster(s) tend to scream when you put them on grill, it's really quite horrible. The first time I heard it, I was unable to eat them afterward. I feel bad for saying this, but I got over that.

Anyway, take the lobster (I wire the claws shut), wrap in aluminum foil, with

unsalted butter
sprinkle with Sea Salt
cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
lemon juice
chopped chives

You can add if you'd like:

yellow squash
zucchini
red bell pepper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:59 pm 
fluidmaster

pinky toe wrote:
some redfish on the grill last night wrapped up in foil, was really good, but now with our whole grill thing now, would love some recipes, please.

mmmm...redfish on the grill.....

put some mayo, coarse ground black pepper and chopped onions in the foil with the filet

zest a lemon or lime, pour zest into melted butter, dip filet in butter/zest, sea salt and black pepper, grill over high heat

do the above, then spread some orange marmalade over the fish after flipping

grilled crabs....mmmm..... i'm thinking a couple of minutes in a boiling pot of beer prior to putting the crabs on the grill might have been the call tho. may have to try that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:54 pm 
pro

Oleschuldad wrote:
imagine the tink, tink, tinking noise of a dozen crabs' legs tapping frantically on the metal lid as they begin to feel the searing heat, almost like cooking popcorn in a metal pot on the stove...several renegades tried to escape out the vent in the rear of the grill lid so I rushed at them with the tongs in a bayonet fashion preventing their escape until the cacophony of tapping led to a slow, weak, intermittent tap..like the last few kernels of corn popping...until finally there was only the quiet, even tone of hissing.....

OSD, nothing is worse than hearing those crustaceans wither away and die. I feel so old and hardened when I scoop them up and place them in the steamer. It's a good two person job. One person puts them in the pot and another shuts the lid. One of my favorite cookbooks suggests that the squeamish leave the room and to remember that "they would bite you hard if they could."

Grilling.... have never done much w/ foil, but a fish basket. Here is an easy baste (not marinade) mix lemon juice, honey and horseradish. Baste while grilling.

PT- I got the most awesome venison recipe over the winter. I'll post it up sometime!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:55 am 
fluidmaster

for Redfish, take advantage of the very thick and large scales...

fillet the fish leaving the scales on. place fillet on the grill scales down and put blackening seasonings on the top/flesh side along with fresh lemon or lime juice. no flipping required, simply let the fish cook (scales will burn) and pull off the grill when it's white and flaky.

MMM, time to go fishing again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:21 pm 
fluidmaster

When will the alumascarab be operational again? The gheenoe is ready to go! The trailer is all fixed and ready to roll. I can fix your trailer if you want.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:35 pm 
pro

nathan wrote:

I went out and bought a fire extinguisher after she over oiled some portabello mushrooms and caused a nice little grill fire. House rule #41....Man of house must supervise all grill activities. :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:29 pm 
fluidmaster

nathan wrote:
When will the alumascarab be operational again? The gheenoe is ready to go! The trailer is all fixed and ready to roll. I can fix your trailer if you want.

soon? i hope!

needs to be ready soon, i love winter fishing (florida winter fishing, that is).

yes, any and all trailer help is appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:24 pm 
menehune

dang that was what i was forgetting in the foil, some cut up vegs.

and hey. grill = fire = good... well at least in my book. i like my chicken crispy.

:lol: :mrgreen:

If the words forming on your screen that were typed from my keyboard start making sense, you have hit ora state of delirium. -> Pink elephants with skull tats on their belly, and carrying bazookas, my kind of elephant. Knock the ish out of ya.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:07 am 
grom

Ok, it's not a grilling recipe, but it's a kick ass redfish recipe. Ok, it's not even a redfish recipe, it's a sheepshead recipe, but a damn good one. I've used it with both and it's one of my favorites. Basically just follow steps 2 and 3. As far as the Thai peanut sauce goes, I have a bottled store brand that I love and it does go perfectly with the panko crusted fish, but I've never made the sauce included with this recipe.

http://www.pierfishingguide.com/sheepshead_recipe.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:54 am 
fluidmaster

This is the easiest and best non-grilled fish recipe, people that don't even like fish will eat this.

Slather (any whitefish, but I like snapper for this) filets in equal parts mayo, parmesan and sour cream.
Sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
Decorate with sliced red onion.
Bake for 20 min at 350. I like to broil for a minute at the end to brown the top.

Voila! Yummiest of yummies.

You're welcome!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:55 am 
ripper

FamilyJulz wrote:
This is the easiest and best non-grilled fish recipe, people that don't even like fish will eat this.

Slather (any whitefish, but I like snapper for this) filets in equal parts mayo, parmesan and sour cream.
Sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
Decorate with sliced red onion.
Bake for 20 min at 350. I like to broil for a minute at the end to brown the top.

Voila! Yummiest of yummies.

You're welcome!!!

That does sound yummy, will have to try that this weekend. My peeps love fish, i'm not that crazy for it, but i'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:31 pm 
fluidmaster

...I need tips...

...on the grill....in foil and lemon juice......"When" do I know it's done?

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:14 am 
ripper

Florida lobsters don't scream if you have already ripped the head off!
Nothing like coming back from the junk reefs, cleaning fish speared with a Hawaiian sling and lobster caught by hand, prepping and throwing on the grill. Eat while you still have the salty crust of mother ocean all over you. Wash down with an Old Mil. "it doesn't get any better than this"

Sally, I need that venison recipe, we have recently come in to a healthy portion.

Friday night. Venison burgers

Mixed ground venison with a little ground beef (increase juiciness) and wrapped with bacon. Threw on the grill. Super delicious and filling.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:29 pm 
pro

This is by far the best venison recipe I have come across, shared by a fishing bud of mine. You have to start the night before, so plan for that. I skip the poultry seasoning, as it’s something I never have on hand. I cook the roast on top of the stove on two burners in a big roasting pan.

Deer Roast

Put roast in big pan and cover with water. Add ½ c. vinegar and 2 T. baking soda. Refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, dump water and rinse meat. Put back in pan and cover with water, adding ½ c. vinegar and 1 T. dried red pepper. Boil for 1 hour, turning so as not to burn.

Dump water. Add to pan ½ pound butter, 2 bottles ketchup, 1 t. sage, 1 t. poultry seasoning, 1 t. celery seed, 1 small chopped onion, 1 t. worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Add water to cover. Cover and simmer 3 to 4 hours until tender.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:47 am 
fluidmaster

wilson wrote:
...I need tips...

thanks

get a fork, and find the thickest part of the fish. fork it. if the fish 'flakes' and doesn't look gooey, it's done.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:46 pm 
fluidmaster

nathan wrote:
wilson wrote:
...I need tips...

thanks

get a fork, and find the thickest part of the fish. fork it. if the fish 'flakes' and doesn't look gooey, it's done.

...thanks...thats the kind of information a "non-cook" like me needs...